When is the best time for braces?
Matza Orthodontics: When is the best time for braces?
Dr. Barry Matza of Matza Orthodontics answers the very common question that all parents are wondering: When is the best time for braces?
The American Association of Orthodontists and the American Dental Association recommend that all children should be evaluated by an orthodontist by age 7, approved and then followed every 6-12 months to make sure the new teeth come in properly. At this young age, the orthodontist can detect any problems with jaw growth and newly emerging teeth. By the age of 7, the first adult molars erupt, establishing the back bite. During this time, an orthodontist can evaluate front-to-back and side-to-side tooth relationships. For example, the presence of erupting incisors can indicate possible overbite, open bite, crowding, or gummy smiles. Timely screening increases the chances for an incredible smile!
What are the signs to look for?
- Over-jet, Crowding and Spacing: Front teeth that stick out too much (over-jet) and are crowded or spaced.
- Overbite: Bites where the lower front teeth are near or biting the roof of the mouth.
- Crossbite: Bites where any upper teeth hit behind or inside the lower teeth. Crossbite is very tricky to see but very important! It can harm teeth dramatically and cause the lower jaw to grow to one side.
What are the benefits of early treatment?
Early evaluation provides both timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment. Prudent intervention guides growth and development, preventing serious problems later. When orthodontic intervention is not necessary, an orthodontist can carefully monitor growth and development and begin treatment when it is ideal. Here are some more benefits:
- Reduce or eliminate abnormal growth of teeth
- Regulate the growth of jaws
- Reduce the chance of impacted teeth
- Make room for new teeth that are emerging
- Reduce the need to extract permanent teeth
- Pave the way for a beautiful smile!
What will my first visit be like?
At Matza Orthodontics, we are always excited about meeting new patients during their first visit to our office! Your initial appointment will consist of a thorough examination and a discussion of potential treatment options. This important visit will give us insight into your orthodontic needs. We know your time is valuable, so to expedite treatment, if time permits, we may also reserve time following the exam for diagnostic records. The records include x-rays, photos, and impressions for study models, and are necessary for developing the appropriate treatment plan.
Take the first step. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.
We’d love to hear from you and help set up a consultation appointment. Feel free to contact us during our business hours of Monday–Friday from 8:15am to 5:00pm at 561-368-3480. Or, do it online: http://bmatza.com/new-patients/patient-forms/ Remember, You do not need a referral for an appointment, just tell us you saw us online